Depending on where you live, you will need to meet certain entry requirements to visit Canada. Detailed information on travel to Canada, including visa information, can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Web site. We recommend that you apply for your visa as early as possible.
Depending on your nationality, you may need to provide your biometrics. You may check if you need to do so through this website. This is a mandatory requirement and you must appear in person at a Visa Application Centre in order to provide your fingerprints and photograph. Find the Visa Application Centre closest to you.
Application Processing Times
Canada does not have a visa office in every country so it is important that delegates visit the website of the Canadian visa office responsible for processing their visa application. Information is available on the website on how to submit a visa application and the documentation required.
Processing times for visa applications vary depending on the visa office and the time of the year. We encourage participants from countries that require a visa to apply as early as possible. Visa processing times vary by country. Please consult this website.
ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization)
Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.
If you are a dual Canadian citizen used to traveling to or transiting through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport, you are no longer able to do so as of November 10, 2016. You will need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight.
Official Letters of Invitation for Visa Purposes
If you still require a Visa Letter of Invitation from IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc), please complete the Visa Letter Request Form and select your conference.
- It is IEEE policy to only issue Visa Letter of Invitation to Speakers, Authors, Committee Members, and Attendees paid in FULL.
- ComSoc can only issue the Visa Letter of Invitation for the conference. No other kind of documentation will be provided for use of visa applications.
- Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.
- Request for a hard copy visa letter will be subject to a US$25 fee to cover the cost of courier delivery, and will be added to your conference registration fee.
We strongly advise participants to personally check entry and visa requirements before making travel arrangements at least 3 months ahead of time, as there might be country-specific conditions that you are not aware of. For most accurate information please contact the embassy/consulate of the country where the conference will be held, in your home country.
- IEEE ComSoc will NOT issue any Letter of Sponsorship or Letter of Guarantee if you are required to do so by the immigration department. It is the participants’ sole responsibility to obtain such documents.
- IEEE ComSoc will not refund anyone for cancellations due to visa rejections or participant’s inability to enter the country.
- IEEE ComSoc cannot change the decision of the any country’s embassy/consulate or any other government departments, nor will IEEE ComSoc appeal to the embassy/consulate on behalf of the applicant.
- All questions/concerns regarding the status of your visa should be directed to the embassy/consulate of the country where the conference will be held, in your home country.
- In no event will IEEE ComSoc be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the information provided on this page.